Wedding Colors and Style Trends for 2012by Carol Caggiano on January 10, 2012 at 9:45 am
As newly engaged couples anxiously plan their weddings, they look forward to see what is new for 2012. The modern bride wants her wedding to be a unique experience and she is searching for inspiration to achieve that goal which drives many of the trends we are seeing in the wedding market.
One of the most important choices a couple makes for their wedding day is color. The top 10 colors of 2012 from Pantone show direction toward a very vibrant palette lead by Tangerine Tango, a strong orange red. Roses, gerbera, stock, carnations, delphinium, asters and orchids just to name a few are all flowers available in these fashion-forward hues and will be popular choices for this year’s floral bouquets.
Cockatoo, a lovely shade of turquoise, will be a popular color for a container choice or table linen to pair with these strong vibrant floral colors, while Driftwood and Starfish, the two neutrals in the forecast, can be introduced for a more elegant and sophisticated style for bridesmaid dresses and table linens. These neutral hues can be accented with vibrant colored flowers, soft pastels or classic whites and ivories depending on the taste of the bride and groom. A professional florist will be able to help each bride make these important choices to reflect the couple’s personal style.
Some of the key flower trends for this year’s weddings:
- Bouquets will focus on texture while designed in a more relaxed style than the tight, compact bouquets popular in the past. Floral elements such a fern curls, echiveria and craspedia will offer diversity combined with more traditional blooms.
- Interest in the boutonnières for the gentlemen will continue to grow, making selections of unique designs of unusual materials popular. Emphasis on the men’s flowers will equal that of the choices for the ladies in the wedding party.
- Good lighting creates drama, introduces color and provides atmosphere. More and more focus will be placed on lighting in events and florals, professionally created, will add form, color and focal emphasis for the perfect look. Props such as chandeliers, shades and lamps are often added to further emphasize the lighting effects. Your florist will be able to help coordinate the right floral choices with your lighting needs.
- Lounge areas became very popular in 2011 and will continue to play a major role in 2012. Even smaller events will include areas for guests to visit with each other away from the formal table seating in a more casual setting. Rented furniture creates the space providing a unique and spontaneous look and casual arrangements of flowers add the finishing touch.
- Table sizes and shapes vary within the same event. Long banquet tables and rounds may be combined, as might ovals and squares. Table surfaces will be mixed as well. Linen covered for some and natural surfaces such as wood, glass or acrylic for others combined together in the same venue. Different style centerpieces are created for each table shape giving the overall look of the room a unique and exciting ambiance.
The possibilities are endless for today’s bride. Her personal style paired with event professionals can easily create the perfect wedding no matter what the budget. Start with your local florist. He can be a great resource for not only flowers but also other vendors to help your wedding to be everything you dreamed of. For more advice planning your wedding flowers and working with a professional florist, visit aboutflowers.com.
What do you think of the top colors of 2012?