5 Themes for Summer Partiesby Shelby Shy on July 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Summer is my favorite time to throw a party, and of course it’s the best time to show off my love of flowers. And a party isn’t a party without a theme. Here are 5 party themes perfect for the summer and easy ways to decorate them with beautiful flowers.
- “There is No Place Like Home” Party. Play up your inner Dorothy and fill your house with sunflowers. Sunflowers are a great summer flower that brings the sunshine indoors with its ray-like petals. Whether it comes outside the vase or is coiled within a clear glass vase, curly willow adds a different, unexpected twist.
- “Take Me Away to Margaritaville” Party. When I think of a salt-rimmed glass filled with a tart margarita mix, I can’t help but think of summer. A great tablescape idea is filling a giant margarita glass with lilies. Strawberry margarita fans should fill their glass with Stargazer lilies. If your flavor of choice is lime, go with bright yellow Asiatic lilies.
- Lemonade Stand Party. If you are throwing a kid-friendly get together, create a Lemonade Stand. Place some sliced lemons or limes in a vase with a cluster of white or yellow daisies flowing out of the vase. A party favor for the kiddos could be small little nosegays with bright colored gerbera daisies, roses, green berries and a miniature lime.
- Backyard Picnic. Red-and-white-checkered tablecloths and watermelons scream summer backyard picnic. Don’t throw that watermelon rind out yet — use it as a table focal point. Carve out a watermelon like a picnic basket and fill it with carnations in a pave style design. You will create the illusion of the inside of a watermelon with a fun floral twist.
- Garden Party. Create a garden in your dining room by adding a vase filled with hydrangeas, spray roses, gerbera daises and cute lime green button mums. Add your own little personal flair with a feminine ribbon tied around the vase.
Tell me, what are you favorite themes for summer parties and how have you decorated them with flowers?